AutoCAD is a computer-aided design software (CAD) product suite that delivers a fully featured drafting and 3D modeling software toolkit. The system comes with a series of industry-specific toolsets that help get your project off the ground, including architecture, electrical, and mechanical design modules.
AutoCAD can be installed on Windows and Mac workstations and is available as a mobile app for Apple and Android devices.
Who Uses AutoCAD?
The system is used by organizations in architecture, manufacturing, education, publishing, insurance, construction, wholesale, media production, graphic design, and military services.
- Toolsets: AutoCAD comes with a series of industry-specific computer aided design programs that help reduce the time it takes to complete projects:
- Architecture: This module enables you to create architectural drawings and floor plans. It includes a vast template library of walls, doors, and windows as well.
- MEP: The product comes with a mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (MEB) toolset that ensures your construction builds are fully compliant with a wide range of safety laws and building codes.
- Electrical: A comprehensive electrical module helps you create efficient and safe electrical plans. You can generate panel layouts and schematic drawings with a specialized electrical drawing toolkit. It comes equipped with over 65,000 intelligent electric symbols that ensure compliance with various regulations.
- Plant 3D: The system includes a feature for designing and building complex, fully functional manufacturing plants and factories.
- Map 3D: A fully featured geographic information system (GIS) module enables you to create detailed maps; this is useful for organizations that deal in industries such as mining, scientific research, and natural resources.
- Mechanical: This toolset allows you to visualize components in your mechanical manufacturing operation. You can create parts, assemblies, and bills of material (BOM) directly within the system, ensuring that your manufacturing process runs smoothly and efficiently.
- Raster design: A practical raster design module helps convert your grid-based raster images into dynamic vector images. This process is particularly useful for turning assets such as photographs or drawings into fully scalable vector files because they won’t distort or lose quality no matter how big you make them.
AutoCAD PricingThis program is available for a flat monthly fee; you can also commit to an annual or triannual subscription. More detailed information is listed on the program’s website, where you can also take advantage of a free 30-day trial. In summary, AutoCAD is a fully functional CAD and 3D modeling software that gives you the power to create detailed models and floorplans.