FreeCAD is a 3D modeling and computer-aided design software (CAD) product that gives you the power to create detailed 2D and 3D models for your building, engineering, and manufacturing workflows. A dynamic 2D sketcher enables you to make meticulous drawings, which can also act as a template for 3D parametric model elements. The system also comes with a technical drawing module and includes computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) functionalities so that you can create manufacturing processes to fully maximize productivity.
FreeCAD is available for installation on Windows, MacOS, and Linux workstations.
Who Uses FreeCAD?
The vendor provides free CAD programs online for businesses in industries such as software development, real estate, aviation, engineering, education, architecture, and retail.
- Sketcher: A dynamic 2D drafting toolkit enables you to create detailed drawings that can be immediately sent to the printer without any adjustments. This module is also useful for establishing templates and guides for you as you build your 3D models.
- 3D modeling: A comprehensive 3D modeling platform enables you to customize every parametric model to your exact specifications. You can use Open CASCADE technology to create complex 3D parametric objects that react to other models in your build for a more realistic modeling experience.
- Technical drawing module: FreeCAD also comes with an extensive technical drawing module that includes a variety of different viewing angles as well as dimensioning. It also allows you to export your files as SVG or PDF standard formats for further use down the line.
- Path module: The system comes with Path support, which allows you to design computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) models. CAM capabilities help you optimize manufacturing parts by designing them down to the finest detail before deploying them into your active production line. In addition, a practical robot simulation module helps you maximize the efficiency of your automated manufacturing capabilities by creating customized robotic movements.
- Modular architecture: With the system’s modular add-ons, you can broaden the scope of operation to better suit your needs. It has a wide range of extensions that you can add to the system and even supports custom add-ons through C++ programming.
- Integrated spreadsheet: FreeCAD comes with a built-in and fully integrated spreadsheet solution, allowing you to create formula-based models and organize your workflow from a central location.
This program is free; you can download a version for your operating system from the vendor’s website.
FreeCAD is an open-source 3D modeling software that enables you to create detailed technical drawings, as well as efficient CAM processes. Could your organization benefit from these features?