Access Payroll is a business financial application and payroll solution developed by the Access Group, a software development company based in the United Kingdom. This payroll software solution is geared towards British employers whose workers need to be paid in accordance to regulations set forth by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC); it is primarily offered as a cloud-based application, but it can also be implemented as a payroll program for small business owners who prefer to keep it on-premise.
In addition to the Access Payroll application, the Access Group also offers an option to completely outsource the payroll process through Access Payroll Services, a managed solution registered with the Chartered Institute of Payroll Professionals and compliant with ISO 27001.
Who Uses Access Payroll?
By virtue of being a very popular business software solution in the United Kingdom, Access Payroll is used by many companies operating in various economic sectors. Quite a few small and medium businesses, as well as large enterprises, have been using Access Payroll since it was released as a cloud-based solution a little over a decade ago.
Strict compliance with HMRC rules and to the British taxation code is one of the reasons Access Payroll enjoys widespread use. Non-profit organizations, financial services companies, retail shops, manufacturing firms, and even multinational corporations operating in the UK use Access Payroll.
Although most of Access Payroll users subscribe to the cloud-based version of the application, some law firms and other businesses that deal with very sensitive information choose to host the software on their own secure servers.
Access Payroll Features
Since Access Payroll is a complete system that can support the operations of companies with thousands of employees, the application offers hundreds of features, some of which may not apply to small and medium-sized enterprises. Below are some of the main features.
- Multiple payrolls and flexible payments: Access Payroll allows companies to run more than one payroll; in fact, this application is used by accountancy firms that handle payroll functions for their clients. You can manage your payday periods in the standard British frequencies of weekly, biweekly, monthly, or per-contract completion.
- Notifications and reminders: With Access Payroll, users can see all upcoming events on a single dashboard, but they can also set up notifications to remind them of outstanding actions or upcoming events. This system of reminders is crucial to keep payroll compliant with HMRC; for example, it can remind users about employees who are approaching their pension age.
- Full-time equivalent calculations: Flexible employees who are not paid on a nominal basis can be managed within Access Payroll by means of FTE cost-splitting.
- Full compliance suite: This is one of the strongest features of Access Payroll, and it is very useful for British business owners who need to navigate the intricacies of Pay-As-You-Earn, HMRC regulations, General Data Protection Rule (GDPR) guidelines, and more. At a time when the United Kingdom is effectively entering a new era of financial regulation because of Brexit, Access Payroll can certainly help companies stay up-to-date and compliant.
- Data security: In addition to GDPR compliance, Access Payroll allows users to create secure profiles with various levels of information clearance. Depending on the permissions set by administrators, payroll clerks or outside accountants may not be able to see privileged information of companies or individuals.
- Full configuration options: With Access Payroll, users can fully customize the manner in which their employees are paid. Internal payment and withholding rules can be implemented within regulatory compliance parameters. Pro-rata adjustments, sickness nominal rules, benefits, and backdated pay can be automatically calculated based on the rules your company follows.
Access Payroll Pricing
The cloud-based version of Access Payroll is licensed on an annual subscription basis. The cost of an on-premise Access Payroll installation is based on the required features and level of configuration. Similar to the cloud versions of Access Payroll, the cost of outsourced payroll services is billed annually.
Greater visibility of employee information, compliance, automated processes, accurate reporting, and the ability to configure multiple payrolls with great flexibility are some of the advantages Access Payroll offers to British employers. Both small business owners and large companies should consider evaluating this solution.